Basic island data
Location: Anacostia River, District of Columbia, US
Coordinates: 38.8923° N, 76.9661° W
Area: c. 7 acres / 3 hectares
– 1776 Island
– Seventeen Seventy-Six Island
– Coordinates: Trails.com mapping, viewed August 2009.
– Area: WorldIslandInfo.com measurements from US Geological Survey topographic mapping.
– Names: “Washington, D.C. Street and Visitor’s Guide” map, American Automobile Association, 1996.
– Ownership: “Update on the Anacostia Park Wetlands Management Plan with Resident Canada Goose Management Strategies,” National Park Service, 2008.
– History: construction -- Lena H. Sun, “D.C. on the Verge of Gaining Two Islands,” Washington Post, July 17, 1996, B5; National Children’s Island -- ““Children's Island First Amended and Restated Lease and Grant of Easement Emergency Approval Resolution of 1997, PR-12-434,” DCWatch.com, September 30, 1997, Lena H. Sun, “D.C. on the Verge of Gaining Two Islands,” Washington Post, July 17, 1996, B1.
Heritage Island is a seven-acre island in the Anacostia River, in eastern Washington DC, in the Kingman Lake portion of the river east of Kingman Island. It is the fifth-largest island in the District of Columbia.
The island is largely wooded and flat. It is owned by the District of Columbia and used as parkland, and is circled by a walking trail. Footbridges provide access to the mainland to the west, and to Kingman Island to the east.
The island and its neighbors were constructed from dredged material in 1916.
In 1996, the island was transferred, along with southern Kingman Island, to the District of Columbia from the National Park Service as part of the “National Children’s Island” project, which did not go forward.
Trash cleanup and environmental restoration were carried out on the island in the 2000s.
Natural scene on Heritage Island
Image copyright WorldIslandinfo.com – usable with link and attribution
Return to WorldIslandInfo.com home.
--------------------------- Copyright 1995-2009 Joshua Calder
Contact Joshua Calder at calder.josh[at]gmail.com with questions or suggestions.
island geography / biggest island